Cypress Hospital will be re-opening at its new, purpose-built site in Newton Abbot on Monday 5 March 2018.
Our hospital is a short-stay, open unit for people who are in or recovering from a mental health crisis. Cypress provides nurse-led support which helps to avoid the need for acute ward admissions and also supports people to transition from an acute ward back to their community.
- Part of the NHS acute care pathway
- 14 en-suite bedrooms
- Separate male and female areas
- Individual support plans
- Weekly medical reviews
- Accessible for people using wheelchairs
- Visiting room for family and carers who are also invited to reviews
- 24-hour staffing
- Multi-disciplinary team of registered mental health nurses, a nursing associate trainee, support workers, an occupational therapist and occupational therapy assistant
- Working with recovery co-ordinators, crisis resolution home treatment (CRHT) teams, other medical professionals, local pharmacist, and organisations that can advise on benefits, housing and education.
- Empowering people with confidence, coping skills, hope and self-awareness to manage their mental health
Who can use this service
People who have been discharged from acute mental health units but still require a level of hospital care and support, or who are in crisis but do not need acute inpatient care.
How to access
Step-down: We take referrals from Crisis Resolution Home Treatment teams for people on acute wards who no longer need acute care but do need further support before discharge.
Crisis care: We take referrals from crisis teams for people who need hospital care to support them in a crisis and help prevent the need for an acute hospital admission.
10 Knowles Hill Road, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 2PW
- Wheelchair ramp access
- Limited on-site parking
- Six-minute walk from Cricketfield Road car park
- 20-minute walk from Newton Abbot train station
Give your feedback
How it’s funded
We are commissioned to provide the majority of this service by South Devon and Torbay Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). We do have additional beds available for spot purchasing.
Click here for an overview from the Care Quality Commission.
Click here to read how Cypress is making a positive impact.
Positive feedback from people who use our service
“Friendly and compassionate.”
“A great team.”
“Service and support is excellent.”
“Very supportive, easy to talk to. Evening meal a very pleasant social time – I was glad staff ate with us. I was involved in choosing shopping/meals I preferred.”
“Comfortable and supportive environment with a range of services, options and sources available had I chosen to use them.”
“Helping us get our confidence back.”
“Staff encouraged my independence and built my confidence.”
“Kind/helpful staff…Good food/safe clean place to recover.”
We are fundraising to refurbish our new hospital building. Providing a calming, homely environment alongside clinical support can have a positive impact on recovery from mental health issues.