In this blog post, we’ll share some simple daily tips from our qualified Occupational Therapists at Cypress Hospital to help you feel better and reduce stress. These practical ideas are all about finding joy, relaxation, and balance in your daily life.
1. Maintain good sleep hygiene
This can be achieved by:
- Sleeping and waking at the same time every day
- Have an hour of relaxation before bed (reading, listening to quiet music, practicing mindfulness)
- Avoid watching tv, going on your phone and eating in bed
- Avoid drinking alcohol, smoking and eating large meals later in the evening
2. Plan your meals!
Before doing your weekly shop, plan what meals you will have for the next week. Write down what meals you would like and what ingredients you will need (don’t forget to check what’s already in the cupboards!) This can help you to maintain a healthy and balanced diet and avoid wasting food which will save you money.
3. Set boundaries for work-life balance
Working from home is common these days, and it can be challenging to separate work from personal life. Start by avoiding taking work materials home or accessing emails after work hours. Giving yourself quality time away from work and time to rest will boost your productivity during work hours and reduce the need for overtime. Setting clear boundaries between work and personal life will help you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
4. Stick to a routine
Having a routine at home can help you stay on top of chores and personal tasks. Use a weekly planner and write down what tasks need to be completed on what day. You may want to put the washing on and clean the kitchen on a Friday so it’s complete before the weekend, giving you dedicated time to do the things you enjoy.