Held each year on 10th October, World Mental Health Day aims to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and gather efforts in support of this vital cause. The theme for 2023 is ‘mental health is a universal human right’.
Mental health affects us all
Did you know that 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem at some point in their lives? The numbers are staggering, and remind us that we’re not alone in our journey. Yet, stigma still remains around mental health that often keeps people from seeking help. By sharing information, personal stories and resources, we can contribute to a world where seeking support is seen as a sign of strength, not weakness.
Reaching out for help
If you’re struggling with your mental health, please know that you’re not alone. There are people that want to help you.
Our BeWell@StepOne service is available to people across Devon to help them manage their mental health and wellbeing. Support is available through online courses, workshops and peer support groups along with in-person sessions held in Torbay.
Peer support groups available on World Mental Health Day and beyond:
- All Welcome Wellbeing peer support group – Tuesday 10th October
- Anxiety peer support café – Wednesday 11th October
Show your support
There are many ways to get involved in World Mental Health Day. You can:
- Talk to your friends, family and colleagues about mental health and share experiences.
- Educate yourself. The more you know about mental health, the better equipped you will be to support others.
- Prioritise your own mental wellbeing – check out these wellbeing tips for inspiration.
- Share local resources for mental health on social media such as our BeWell@StepOne service.
- Raise funds or make a donation to support our services. Why not hold your very own World Mental Health Day coffee morning or bake sale at work or with friends?
Here are some tips for hosting your own coffee morning or bake sale:
- Decide a date and time.
- Choose a location that is convenient and accessible.
- Plan a selection of baked goods (and coffee/tea options if possible).
- Spread the word! Promote the event on social media and in your community or internally with your colleagues.
- Have some information about mental health available. We can provide you some resources on our BeWell@StepOne service including brochures and flyers.
- Need some support? Get in touch with our fundraising team at firstname.lastname@example.org.