Cypress Hospital is now open at its new, purpose-built site in Newton Abbot. Our hospital is a short-stay, open unit for people who are in or recovering from a mental health crisis.
Cypress provides nurse-led support which helps to avoid the need for acute ward admissions and also supports people to transition from an acute ward back to their community.
- Part of the NHS acute care pathway
- 14 en-suite bedrooms
- Designated single-sex areas
- Individual support plans
- Weekly medical reviews
- Family and carer involvement
- Family room for visitors
- Mobility-friendly for people using wheelchairs
- 24-hour staffing
- Registered manager, clinical lead, registered mental health nurses, nursing associate trainee, support workers, occupational therapist and occupational therapy assistant
- Working with crisis resolution home treatment teams, recovery co-ordinators, other medical professionals and a local pharmacist
- Signposting to organisations that can help with benefits, housing and education
- Empowering people with confidence, coping skills, hope and self-awareness to manage their mental health
Who can use this service
People who have been discharged from acute mental health units but still require a level of hospital care and support, or who are in crisis but do not need acute inpatient care.
How to access
We consider referrals through crisis resolution home treatment teams and acute wards, for people:
- coming from an acute ward who need further support before discharge
- needing hospital care in a crisis to prevent an acute hospital admission
Phone: 01626 249592
10 Knowles Hill Road, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 2PW
- Wheelchair ramp access and mobility scooter charging point
- Limited on-site parking
- Six-minute walk from Cricketfield Road car park
- 20-minute walk from Newton Abbot train station
Give your feedback
How it’s funded
We are commissioned to provide the majority of this service by South Devon and Torbay Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). We have additional beds available for spot purchasing.
Click here for an overview from the Care Quality Commission.
Click here to read how Cypress is making a positive impact.
Positive feedback from people who use our service
“Friendly and compassionate.”
“A great team.”
“Service and support is excellent.”
“Staff encouraged my independence and built my confidence.”
Supporting Cypress Hospital
We would like to thank the individuals and organisations who have supported, donated and awarded grants to enable us to refurbish Cypress Hospital. Click here to see our list of supporting organisations.
We are continuing to fundraise to further enhance the environment of Cypress Hospital which plays an important role in supporting people to recover from a mental health crisis. Support Cypress Hospital