Our independent hospital in south Devon is a short-stay open unit, providing nurse-led support for people who are in or recovering from a mental health crisis.
- 12 bedrooms with male and female sleeping areas
- Staffed with qualified mental health nurses, nursing associate trainees, support workers, an occupational therapist and occupational therapy assistant
- 24 hour staffing
- Weekly medical reviews
- Individual support packages
- Family and carers invited to reviews and meetings
- Working with recovery co-ordinators, community and accommodation support workers, benefits advisors, housing and education
- Part of the NHS acute care pathway
- Empowering people with the confidence, coping skills, hope and self-awareness to manage their mental health
Who can use this service
People in the Devon area who are discharged from acute mental health units but still require a level of hospital care and support, or who are in crisis but do not need acute inpatient care.
How to access
Step-down referrals: We take referrals from acute wards for people who no longer need to stay on an acute ward but do need further support before discharge.
Crisis care: We take referrals from local crisis teams for people who need hospital care to support them in a crisis, and help prevent the need for an acute hospital admission.
35 Totnes Road, Paignton TQ4 5LA
- 10 minute walk from Paignton train station
- Accessible by car via M5 south, A38 and A380
How it’s funded
We are commissioned to provide this service by South Devon and Torbay Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
Click here for an overview from the Care Quality Commission.
Click here to read how Cypress is making a positive impact.
Positive feedback from people who use our service
“Friendly and compassionate.”
“A great team.”
“Service and support is excellent.”
“Very supportive, easy to talk to. Evening meal a very pleasant social time – I was glad staff ate with us. I was involved in choosing shopping/meals I preferred.”
“Comfortable and supportive environment with a range of services, options and sources available had I chosen to use them.”
“Helping us get our confidence back.”
“Staff encouraged my independence and built my confidence.”
“Kind/helpful staff…Good food/safe clean place to recover.”
We’re fundraising to refurbish a new hospital building for our Cypress service.
Providing a calming, homely environment alongside clinical support can have a positive impact on recovery from mental health issues.